“Competing in the Miss America system was a rewarding experience that taught me skills and gave me friendships that will last my lifetime.” -Former contestant
Miss America and the Children’s Miracle Network have formed a new partnership. The partnership requires each local contestant to raise $100 for each local she enters. Any amount over the $100 can be applied to the next local or state pageant. There is a $500 cap on local fundraising. Any contestant who raises $500 may enter unlimited local pageants. This on-line fundraiser is for the Childrens’ Miracle Network and the Miss America Scholarship Fund. All local contestants must register at the “missamerica4kids.org” website where they may track their donations. Upon winning a local title, the contestant is required to raise $250 to enter the state competition. The state winner will be responsible for raising $500 to enter the national competition. Again, any left over funds from local fundraising may be applied for that contestant’s requirements for state or national.
To be eligible to compete in a Miss America local competition, you must:
- Must be at least seventeen years of age at the time of her first competition and no older than twenty-four years of age on December 31st of the year she is chosen to represent her state in the National Finals
- Be at least a senior in high school
- Be a United States citizen
- Meet residency requirements for competing in a certain town & state
- Complete and sign the contract (available from your local director)
- Complete the Resume and Platform statement according to the instructions as set forth by the Miss America Organization
- Be in reasonably good health to meet the job requirements
- Be able to meet the time commitment & job responsibilities as set forth by the local program in which you compete.
All pageant paperwork and CMN funds are due to the pageant director by noon on the Monday preceeding the pageant. Lateness will result in you not competing at that pageant.
Here are the updated scoring percentages in the five phases of competition for local pageants:
- Talent = 35%
- Private Interview = 25%
- Lifestyle & Fitness in Swimsuit =15%
- Evening Wear = 20%
- On-Stage Questions = 5%
Contestants need to complete the new MAO fact sheet, which is a two fold document:
- 1. Resume
- 2. Platform Statement
MAO had given specific instructions for setting them up on the computer and have given examples of each. Contestants will need to fill out both for state, and many of the locals are using them, too. (Check with your local for more information)
Click below for instructions and examples: Updated (July 2010)